Graduate XXI launched the document: “A map of the future: Fifty educational innovations in Latin America”. It is one of the largest efforts to map the new educational landscape currently developing in the region: this refers to private sector innovations in education with a thorough/ a concentrated/ an in-depth use of technology. The map created aims to shed a light on possible paths to take in order to tackle the school dropout rates in Latin America through/ with original ways.
The document systematizes, selects and describes fifty experiences based on Graduate XXI’s Map of Educational Innovations, which has been updated regularly for two years.
The systematization of innovations made it possible to identify/ allowed the identification of the strongest trends on the map. Where is education in Latin America heading towards? What type of entrepreneurships are emerging from the private sector? What doors are being opened by new technologies?
Five big trends in education innovation were identified based on the categorized experiences. The following examples are an invitation to keep diving into the document.
– Mate Marote (Argentina) is an informatics program of cognitive stimulation based on neuroscience principles. Its purpose is to strengthen the abilities of young children through digital games.
– Yogome (Mexico) is a platform for parents to support their children with their learning experiences with 100 games starring superheroes who navigate through the gamers’ knowledge.
– Creápolis (Argentina) is a videogame and an interactive platform that is complemented by an open TV program to foster children’s creativity.
This trend describes the development of platforms with digital contents:
– Descomplica (Brasil) is a platform with more than 15 thousand educational videos, with five million students who consume an average of eight hours of educational material per month.
-Teachers’ platforms such as Docentes Innovadores, Innovative Teachers (various countries), Futura (Brasil) and the innovative model of Tu clase, tu país, Your class, your country (Chile), with a personalized plan of continuous training for teachers.
– Innova Schools (Peru) is composed by a group of 19 schools that aspire to take on 100 thousand students in the year 2020, with a hybrid learning model that provides 70% of its content through teachers, and the other 30% through apps and digital solutions.
– Escuelas Bradesco (Brazil) is a group of 40 schools that provide education to 100 students of disadvantaged sectors through different complementary digital proposals via platforms, online courses and digital inclusion centers.
– Appiario (Brazil and Colombia) promotes Design Thinking through “transmedia learning labs for the real world” in vulnerable contexts.
-Some educational systems in Brazil are the full package, offering integral solutions for schools. With more than 500 thousand students, Positivo (Brazil) is the most massive one. Sistema Uno promotes a transforming model for participating schools in Colombia, Brazil and Mexico.
–Puentes educativos, Educational bridges (Chile and others) is a model that integrates cellphones with a projector that connects to the internet, educational videos, teaching sequences and special training for teachers in rural areas.
-The most recent trend explores teaching through artificial intelligence, creating personalized learning trajectories using Big Data and predictive algorithms. The project that has made the most progress in Latin America is Geekie (Brazil), preparing students for college admission tests.
These trends show an emerging map that is in constant movement, full of questions and transitions. They open the educational imagination to big scale changes, both from public policies and private entrepreneurships. They also present us with new dilemmas and tensions. Can they be consolidated? What is the scaling curve and temporality of such innovations? Are they profound changes or just old models with new technologies? This document invites you to explore these questions by presenting fifty concrete experiences.